Thursday, September 10, 2009

Artist Statement Critiques

Due to my computer not turning on, I couldn't get my statement critiqued today. However, I had my dad read it, and he had the following suggestions:

- Transition from topic to topic more smoothly
- Work on the grammar and sentence structure

He liked that I mentioned my connection to the song Scar Tissue, and of course liked that I mention him in my artist statement. When I get into town again, I will be correcting it and getting more people to give me feedback on it.


New and Improved Draft!

My father has always been the biggest musical influence in my life. I grew up with bands like the Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers and various Starbucks mixes that included many Jamaican and Cuban afro-beats. Since I was a little girl music has always been in my life, probably more than it should be. I remember the first time I heard the song "Scar Tissue" was at a friends birthday party, probably in 3rd or 4th grade, I had heard it before obviously but for some reason the impact of the song hit me like a train, full force and in your face. The lyrics were amazing to me yet for some reason, there was nothing special about them. I didn't fully understand drugs or drug abuse in 3rd grade, but I loved the calm melody, and the fact that just by hearing 4 seconds of the introduction, everyone in the room the song is playing in starts singing along. From that moment on, the Red Hot Chili Peppers had moved their way into my life, quickly and violently.

I was always the little girl who would talk a lot during class, too much teachers would say. I never really felt like I had enough attention on me throughout the day. One of my first rebellious acts was sneaking into my 3rd grade teachers classroom and stealing her gummi bears she would give the class. I never knew that I would turn out how I did today. Born in Carlsbad, I lived the suburban life, but, growing up my parents were continuously splitting up until finally my mom announced to me that they would be getting a divorce. For the next couple years or so I became the child of your nightmares. I was rebellious, I would scream and cry and shriek that I wanted my mommy or my daddy (depending on who's house I was at at the time) and I was never satisfied with hardly anything. For as long as I can remember I've had issues expressing my anger and my emotions. I had nothing to take it out on, or channel that energy into.

Around 3 years ago I picked up the book "Scar Tissue." A biography on Anthony Kiedis, instantly drawn in I read it, and read it, and read it. I fell completely head over heels in love with Anthony Kiedis. He was heavily into drugs and was stuck in a downward spiral. I read this book and all I could think about was how amazing of a job Anthony did when he was getting sober. He's been sober since early 2001 and continues to live that way. He inspired me to keep doing what I love and to keep on aspiring to get what I want to do done. Where we do differ though, is our "outlet" you could say, he chose music, I chose photography. I'm learning to control my emotions and feelings by channeling it into my art. I don't accept anything less than the best I can do from myself and I push myself to the extreme to achieve. I'm currently in a gallery in Escondido where a couple of my photos are displayed and up for sale. I have never been more proud of myself in my life. Pride in knowing that I am a self made artist and I can get what I want is one of the best feelings I have ever had. Anthony Kiedis and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have changed my life, and the way I look at some things. I am no longer the child of your nightmares, I am the teenager that has dreams and will make them happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment