Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing Reflection

During Semester One I made a video called ‘Who Cares?’ for Media Saves the Beach. My script went through at least 5 revisions in the 2 weeks before the video was made. It was constantly revised also, during the making of the video. ‘Who Cares’ was a video that featured multiple people repeating one or more phrases. It would have been a train wreck if I hadn’t used a script that was well rehearsed.

The Writing Tips we learned over the year were really helpful for structuring essays. Concerts not Pancakes was my personal favorite and it helped me create a strong ending and a strong finish and leave the stuff I’m not so sure about in the middle of it. One piece of writing this applied to was my Ampersand Piece. In the middle I have strong phrases but, the majority of it isn’t super articulate, so I left my essay up to the intro and the conclusion to kind of buoy it up to the surface of good writing.

The 2009-2010 school year has taught me strategies to writing a good piece of work. I learned to always overwrite, because you can just cut stuff out at the end. It’s always good to have extra things, and I learned firsthand how much easier it is to write more than necessary, because it’s harder to write a piece, and add more later. I’m definitely going to carry on these writing tips for all of senior year and through college.

My main goal for future writing would be to get to the point where I don’t ramble on forever about one thing. Even in this reflection I rambled! “. I learned to always overwrite, because you can just cut stuff out at the end. It’s always good to have extra things, and I learned firsthand how much easier it is to write more than necessary, because it’s harder to write a piece, and add more later” and I need to stop being so repetitive.

Some of my writing strategies I have now I have had since I was a middle school-er. I wrote a detailed outline with the thesis and words I wanted to mention, or quotes, facts or stories and then worked it into my writing. I still do this even for my Ampersand piece. I wrote what things I wanted mentioned, who I wanted to mention and how I wanted to mention them. Doing so, you can get the meat of the paragraph done with, and so you just need to worry about the fillings around it. It’s a much easier way for me to structure an essay, so I will definitely keep on doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment