Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Internship Day One



My First Day at The New Children's Museum as an Education Programs Intern!



This is my desk area in the corner of my office, you can see
my little friend in the corner left of the bookshelf. I have my
own name plate as well. :)


This is the lil' fella on my bookshelf!




I did this for a lot of the day, I was cutting out "Fundreds" for
our upcoming Teen Studio exhibit. Learn more about it at
www.fundred.org!

Teen Studio is empty?! I have never seen it like this,
it almost looks lonely! Weird.

Questionare!
1. When did you wake up?
I woke up at the round time of 7:45
2. What did you have for breakfast?
I didn't have breakfast, it makes me feel nauseous eating as soon as I wake up, so I snacked throughout the day.
3. How did you get to internship? How long did it take? How did it go?
My mom took me and of course had to try and take a short cut and was stubborn and lost and so I got there 2 minutes early instead of the 10 I was anticipating. It took 15 minutes, when it could have taken 7!
4. What did you do when you first arrived at internship? Who did you see? Who did you talk to?
I saw one of the girls who works in resources, and my mentor Lauren. She showed me my office which I had previously worked in and then she took me to the terrace level which is where the most important people to the director work, (so they can be within a doors distance away) and I met everyone who worked there, like the Events Planner, the Technical Genius Gavon and I also attended a meeting! :)
5. Where do you work (in the company, in the building, etc.)? What is your area like?
I work in "the Basement" which is the LL of the building next to a couple other people. My office is technically the biggest one in the museum too! :) My office is filled with art supplies and art done by little kids and a computer and desk and my own extension number!!!
6. What did you do for lunch?
Pretty much sprinted to Horton Plaza and met up with Libby and Faith who intern at a Law Firm and NBC for lunch, then sprinted back to the museum and finished most of my work.
7. What did you do during the afternoon?
I cut out Fundreds, researched podcasts, and came up with a new project idea that is extra for internship.
8. What type of work do you see yourself doing in the next few days?
I'm going to be helping with the workshops with the kids on the days that we have field trips coming in, I'm going to be helping set up Teen Studio, I'm going to be hopefully proposing my Teen Event Night to my mentor and the Events Planner.
9. What do you feel prepared to do? What do you think you'll do well?
I'm prepared to do it all! My schoolwork has helped tremendously with speaking on camera, stop motion videos, speaking in public and blogs!
10. What are you going to need to learn to succeed at your internship?
iStop and probably learning how to work in an office all alone, it's weird not having anyone within talking distance of me!!
11. What makes you excited about working there?
The people there are all sooo so nice and genuinely interested in the museum which is great, they all have spectacular ideas and the opportunities excite me as well.
12. What makes you nervous about working there?
It kind of makes me nervous because I am the only intern there, which I feel like people will take advantage of having someone below them be able to do some of their grunt work and not being able to finish all of my projects.
13. When did you get home? What was your afternoon/evening commute like?
I got home at 8pm because I went to work after internship. But the commute from internship was nice as well, the museum is closed on Wednesdays to the public so outside was very calm and warm and I waited for my dad to pick me up outside of the museum and watched all the people work in the museum on cleaning it and tidying for tomorrows open day!

So excited to be there, I can feel that there's going to be some great things coming from this!

No comments:

Post a Comment